Bengali Bridal Diaries #4: Finding THE dress

by - December 07, 2021

Ahh wedding dress shopping! Would you believe if I told you that I had found the ONE on my second time dress shopping? Alhamdulillah! I was never the type to have every detail of my wedding planned from A-Z but the wedding dress is something I was very, very particular about. I knew what colours I wanted what style and cut everything to a t basically. One day, many moons ago, before I even had someone to marry, I saw something online and I knew that’s what I wanted as my wedding dress. So since then I had pinterest-ed so many ideas around this dress and Alhamdulillah I got exactly what I wanted!

It wasn’t as easy as that to be honest and I’ll explain why. The first day I went wedding dress shopping it was simply for a browse and I knew I wouldn’t find the one that day. I went with my two cousin sisters and eldest sister in law. It was very informal and we even popped into other shops for other outfits along the way. We went to good old Green Street. Prior to my visit I did note down the stores I wanted to check. I only really wanted to check Doli, Seemas and Mongas. To my surprise Mongas was no longer in Green Street I was literally so upset about this! I was told that they have one shop in Southall and did potentially plan a visit there however, I thought about it and I thought realistically it would be too much for me to take my self and others to such a long journey more than once. I’d rather have the dress closer to me so I can pop in when changes need to be done etc. 
My cousins and sister in law encouraged me to look at other shops so we also browsed a few in the East Shopping Centre. I went into Zarkan, I saw a few and actually even liked one. The lady in the store was giving me bad vibes though. There was no privacy even during changing, she didn’t allow me to take my family member in but instead she came in and helped me. Nice of her but I found this quite intrusive. Regardless of that I did like the dress as in the shape etc. but a lot of work would need to be done to get it exactly how I wanted it. Thankfully I didn’t end up going back to this shop, a week and a half later I went past the shop to realise it’s completely EMPTY! No trace of the shop existing at all. There was an uproar online too, it seems like the company had gone bust and the store had shut down. Many brides were left without their bridal gowns and it was all a big mess. I knew my gut feeling was right and something was off. I’m just surprised how they still encouraged me to pay upfront for the outfit under two weeks prior to going bust.

Moving over, I then went into Doli. This was the one store I was so, so hopeful in. Nearly everyone in my family has purchased their dress from Doli, we’ve worked with them countless times over the years so we know exactly what to expect. I was very excited to go in and have a cheeky browse. Their dress selection was HUGE. The whole of the upstairs is all about bridal gowns. It’s so beautiful when you walk in. Unlike Zarkan they give you the privacy you need but obviously there is a no photos policy- which is understandable. So on day 1 of dress shopping I tried about 3 dresses in Doli. Unfortunately, once again I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. It was mostly the colour combination I was looking for that I just couldn’t find. There were some gorgeous pieces and my family really made me feel a million dollars in all of them but my heart was simply set on a specific style/design and colour.

After day one of dress shopping I wasn’t so disheartened as I wasn’t expecting to find anything anyways and we ended the day at Chaii Wala and flicking through Asiana. It was simply a browse. We then planned on to potentially go to Southall even though that’s really not what I wanted. I was also meaning to go and check out Ilford Lane but time just didn’t allow it.

Fast-forward 2 weeks later I went for the actual dress shopping. I knew I would have to decide something today as everyone around me was saying time was running out. This time round I literally took everyone- my mum, both sister in laws, niece and nephew, 2 of my cousins, an aunt you name it. I decided I wanted to go to Doli again, find a gown that was there and change the colour etc to make it how I wanted. Ideally I really just wanted to see the dress I wanted there as I didn’t feel so comfortable in making so many changes as it was hard to envision how it would come out, this was one of my main worries and if I was going to get my dress completely done from scratch I would only trust Doli. So I went there again feeling a little disheartened. Oh how I was surprised, the second I walked in I found THE dress hanging up. It was even the colour I wanted. The dupatta was different to my imagination so I paired it with another one they had instore.

So what did I want?!

I wanted a beige-y gold gown with a trail which wasn’t that long. The duppata would be contrasting in a maroon red colour. I couldn’t find this anywhere despite having seen it everywhere online! I was getting so frustrated. But Alhamdulillah I really did get lucky. The second I put the dress on I just felt it, it felt like it was for me. The colour, the shape everything was perfect and so me! Everyone in the room knew it too. It’s funny actually as my cousins got to the shop before me, saw the outfit hung and knew that’s exactly what I wanted. When I walked in they were like “there’s your dress” I was pleasantly surprised! I was so relieved Alhamdulillah. Apparently this dress just came in the day before, so it was meant to be! I took heels similar to the ones I would potentially wear on the day. I also took a maroon red hijab with me too- prepared yes! Because I did this I was somewhat envisioning how the whole look will be like on the day. Everyone loved the look as much as I did and that just made the whole day better! I was lucky on the day to have the whole of the bridal area just for me and my family for most of the time I was there. During the end of my fitting other people started coming and they kept complimenting me in the outfit which made me feel amazing as well as you can imagine. Other people loved how I paired the shade of hijab with it too! I gave my measurements, chose the final details and I was done! All in under 2 hours Alhamdulillah. The pic above is the two dupattas, the right one came with the dress and the left was an example of the material and the colour I wanted. My in laws went the next day, paid the deposit and there we have it my wedding dress was picked out and about to be shipped abroad ready to be created just for me!

*Disclaimer- these posts were written at the start of 2020 or during times when restrictions were relaxed. Some of the things mentioned such as family gatherings, indoor shopping etc. were acceptable at the time

See you in part 5 where the Mehndi fun begins…

Follow my socials for more...

You May Also Like

0 comments

Labels