Bengali Bridal Diaries #5: Finding the Mehndi Dress & Ordering my Mehndi Bouquet

by - December 09, 2021

Once again this was done far quicker than I thought it would be.  I feel like I got really lucky when looking for my outfits or maybe I was just well prepared. Once I knew I was going to get married I pretty much bought out the big guns and started creating mood boards, Pinterest boards etc. for all of my events. This made it so much easier as it literally gave me a vision I knew I would work with. Sometimes you do stray from your original idea but I didn’t find that happen with me so much, but when it did I just went with the flow.

The day I went to find my mehndi dress it was a much quieter day. My mum, my sister in law and little niece came along with me. We actually went to look for my gold only but my mum insisted on checking out the mehndi outfit too. I didn’t think I would make a decision on this day as I had an appointment with the cake company I was going to go with at 3pm and it was already 1:30. I thought I would come back the next day which is a Sunday to have a proper browse but to mine and everyone’s surprise I didn’t need to.

When I thought about my Mehndi I had visions of bright colours and lots of work. I wanted it to be a colourful soiree and I wasn’t really strict with what everyone else would wear as long as it was bright mehndi colours. I went with this vision in mind. Once again I also knew that I would want my outfit from Doli for the same reasons as mentioned in my wedding dress post. It was mostly because of peace of mind. I knew what I was getting with them. I also had a sneak peak of the mehndi outfits available during my wedding dress shopping so sort of had an idea of what to expect.

So we went into the shop and the wonderful lady called Deepika she was so, so lovely, welcoming and she worked closely with me for my Wedding dress fitting too. She welcomed us into the shop warmly and introduced us to the lovely range of outfits they had. They had some beautiful pieces that had just come in so I was spoilt for choice! I saw an outfit on the mannequin that I loved but the colours didn’t align to my choice. I was reassured that they can do whatever colour and customise it to my liking. I completely fell in love with one of the outfits. I don’t know if this outfit has a specific name to it but it’s basically a two piece. A long kameez top with a flowy skirt. It was stunning and the original colour combo was already so beautiful and I would buy it just like that but it wasn’t really mehndi-y. I tried the outfit on and it fit like a glove, I just fell in love with it! You know when they say you just know when it’s the one, I felt this with my wedding dress and now with my mehndi dress too. The photo on the right isn't of my outfit, but these are the colour I envisioned for my Mehndi. I loved all things bright and beautiful! 

That was the design sorted. Next Deepika took my measurements and we went over any changes I wanted. I didn’t stray too much from the original but I explained my vision to her. The Kameez was fully done up with work and had a combination of beading and thread work. I decided to change the colour of the top to Fuschia pink with forest green threading. I also went for a forest green dupatta and skirt. My mum also suggested adding a boarder to the skirt which I didn’t really see the point of only because I’d be sitting most of the time, but I guess it will look nice in the photos. We went through a colour chart and chose the colours I wanted- Doli has a wide range of options and so much to choose from. Once all the final details were sorted that was it, my plans were ready to go to India and a new custom outfit was ready to be made for me!


 The Mehndi Bouquet:

After I knew how my outfit would look, I went on to looking for a bouquet. I looked around for a little bit and found the wonderful @flower_powerbridal on Instagram. Her work looked stunning! And she is very popular with all things flower based! 
I ordered my bouquet BEFORE my dress even arrived. I just gave my vision to the lovely sister and liaised with her through Instagram messages. She kept coming back to me with updates and variations. She also played around with the design quite a bit until it looked right. Alhamdulillah she took my vision and bought it alive. I sent her photos of how I wanted my bouquet to look and described how my outfit would look too. She delivered exactly when she said she would.  
I ordered my bouquet BEFORE my dress even arrived. I just gave my vision to the lovely sister and liaised with her through Instagram messages. She kept coming back to me with updates and variations. She also played around with the design quite a bit until it looked right. Alhamdulillah she took my vision and bought it alive. I sent her photos of how I wanted my bouquet to look and described how my outfit would look too. She delivered exactly when she said she would.  
At this point the news of Covid just kept coming in thick and strong. We didn't know what was happening and all the news about lockdowns etc. was coming to light. I was so glad I managed to send off both my wedding and mehndi outfits to get made... even if we don't have a wedding at least we'll have everything in place for when we do!

Alhamdulillah another thing ticked off the list. Just a little reminder, it's important to do your own research in terms of what you want. These are just my recommendations & experiences of vendors that worked for me.

*Disclaimer- these posts were written at the start of 2020 or during times when restrictions were relaxed. Some of the things mentioned such as family gatherings, indoor shopping etc. were acceptable at the time

See you in part 6 where I talk all things cake!…

Follow my socials for more...

You May Also Like

0 comments

Labels