Bengali Bridal Diary #7- Shopping and lots of it

by - December 16, 2021

Since the non-essential shops have been closed for the last 3 months I haven’t really had a chance to do much shopping- tell a lie, online shopping has left me broke! But what I mean is I haven’t really been doing much wedding shopping. To be honest I haven’t been in the mood to really do any wedding related activities simply because there’s so much uncertainty, I don’t know what’s happening, will I get married? Will I postpone? I have no idea. To be totally honest I felt quite deflated and negative. God bless my better half for keeping my spirits high and always thinking positively when that was the last thing I could do.

It is now June. And everyone around me has started to say things are looking up, shops are ready to open and the pandemic is somewhat calming down (2021 me is laughing at this comment right now), yet we are far from being out of the worst yet. This is the first time in months I’ve actually felt quite positive and feel like this wedding is actually happening.

This is when I literally got out my wedding planner, my (many) to do lists and a good pen! It’s time to get this show back on the road. I started off by making to do lists- one for each month leading up to the wedding and what I was hoping to purchase and when. 

The second the government announced that ALL non-essential shops can re-open from the 13th of June, I made sure I booked to get as much done as possible. I asked my other half to go in to the city and pick out a suit for his wedding gift. In Bengali tradition we give a suit as a wedding gift, usually my brothers would go on this suit shopping with him but due to the pandemic this wasn’t possible, instead his family went with him. Alhamdulillah hubby was really efficient in doing this and managed to go into Selfridges, pick up a suit and purchased it in less than 2 hours! Talk about not messing around.

Once his suit was done I went on to purchasing other bits and bobs. We also gift a watch, cufflinks, shoes, a belt, a tie etc. My husband left most of that to me, which I didn't mind; he did choose his shoes though.  Once I started purchasing his things I was really on it, ticking off my to do lists left right and centre! The feeling of this was so thrilling and I could finally feel like I'm getting married! 

Not only did I make those purchases but I also went on to purchasing home stuff. As we will be moving to another house shortly after the wedding, I didn’t really need any big furniture as of yet. Another Bangladeshi tradition is that the bride’s family would give her, her bedroom furniture and any other furniture requested by her in laws. This was one huge thing off my shoulders…. For now. Anyways I still went on to purchase a duvet, pillows, throws etc. I also picked up a couple of duvet covers and one special one for the wedding week! I also picked up a couple of lamps and other things to spruce up the room.

It is now the beginning of July, I feel like I’ve done quite a bit in regards to the wedding shopping and only have a handful of things to purchase. I am just waiting for my dresses to arrive now so then I can go ahead and accessorise them. I have also managed to finally sort out the gold I want. I’ve opted for a simple necklace and 4 thin bangles and two thicker bangles to accompany them. I didn’t want gold earrings or a gold ring as I knew that would be a waste of money as I would wear neither. 

Isn't it funny how a little bit of shopping can uplift your spirits so much... eek! Alhamdulillah things are finally looking up! 

*Disclaimer- these posts were written at the start of 2020 or during times when restrictions were relaxed. Some of the things mentioned such as family gatherings, indoor shopping etc. were acceptable at the time

Follow my socials for more...


You May Also Like

0 comments

Labels